Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Help for the really hairy people!

I have made a new discovery and it is a really great one! A little painful, but that is the price we pay for beauty, right? About three years ago my friend Mendy suggested I go with her to get a bikini wax. She had a gift certificate that she offered to share with me. I thought that was a super idea! All my life it has been a challenge for me to shave my bikini area. I have spent insane amounts of money on every hair removal product on the shelves! My hair grows very thick! I had a boyfriend once run his fingers through my hair(on my head- thought I might need to clarify that one) and say, "Your hair is really coarse". Really romantic, huh? So all my life I have plucked and shaved daily. I would shave my bikin area and my skin would get bumpy and red and I still couldn't shave close enough to be smooth. Is that enough detail or do you need more? I thought so!

I accompanied her that day in hopes that I would leave with a smooth breakthrough - no more shaving!!!! I limped out of the spa in great pain! It was an incredibly excruciating experience!!!!! The problem I realized later was that I was supposed to let my hair grow out to a certain length before the waxing. A painful lesson! So..... I tried it again! The second time was better but my hairs started growing back about a week later. The third time my hairs started growing back immediately! I gave up! No more would I subject myself to the misery for absolutely no results!

Then one day Mendy told me about Sugaring. She thought it was gentler and much more effective than waxing. Should I give it one more try? The week before my birthday knowing that I wasn't getting any younger I decided to give it a last ditch effort in hopes of a smooth bikini line.

IT WORKED!!!!! A major breakthrough for me!!!! Fifteen days later I am still smooth!

I am singing the Hallelujah chorus again!!!!!!!!! Now I might have my underarms done and my thighs - heck my whole leg! No more shaving for me, baby! If I could stand not plucking for about a week I would have my eyebrows done, too!

Lesson learned: There is always hope , even for the hairy ones!

This whole post make me ponder this thought:

How many hours of my life have I wasted on washing, blow drying, curling, straightening,brushing, spraying, gelling, shaving, waxing, plucking, dyeing, bleaching, mousing, conditioning, cutting and now sugaring my hair in my forty years of life?

Got to go - I have a 11:00 hair appointment!

3 comments:

Renee said...

Peg- I changed the text size on my blog. will you drop in and tell me how it looks to you? Thanks!:-)

Saija said...

you are brave ...

at 47 i finally got my eyebrows waxed (i did the old plucking thing before that) ... i was too chicken re the pain factor ... uh, i don't think i will ever be brave enough for bikini waxes ... *chuckle* ... and at this stage of the game, my swimsuits are like the 1920 types .... *laughing out loud* ...

Anonymous said...

Peg - did you have the sugaring done at a salon or did you buy the "ingredients" and do it yourself at home? It sounds pretty fascinating to me. I think I might try it. Let me know, please...