Tuesday, March 08, 2005

What will be the fate of these three?

Every once in a while I get a whim to buy bananas at the market. I personally do not like eating bananas by themselves. I tend to get a gag reflex when eating them. Sorry to be so blunt, but it happens! I really enjoy bananas in bread, cake, fruit salad, frozen and covered in chocolate, etc. My reason for the purchase is strictly a nutritional one. I am buying them in hopes that one of my three guys will choose a nice yellow banana as their snack of choice. Now, even though L has all the characteristics of a monkey, he doesn't care for the primates food of choice. K and K have been know to enjoy one every once in awhile.

Here lies the problem. I buy the bananas and they perch beautifully on my cute little Pampered Chef Simple Additions stand fellowshipping with all the other fruit(see picture below). I buy them quite green in the beginning in hopes that they will last just a few extra days. Days go by, the apples are eaten, the oranges are peeled, and the bananas are neglected and ignored! Then one day you stroll by and notice the bananas are black not yellow. Off to the trash they go.... Such a waste!

I know, if I were Martha, there would be many uses for mushy bruised bananas- banana bread, freeze them for future use, banana cake with sour cream chocolate frosting (one of Oma's recipes), banana muffins, banana smoothie, and maybe even a banana face mask. Will the vicious cycle remain? Will the fate of these three bananas be buried in the plastic bag of doom? Or, will they be enjoyed and eaten like they should be?

As you can see in the pictures below I have written this friendly reminder on our kitchen message board.

What happens to the uneaten bananas in your house?

9 comments:

daisymarie said...

shhhhhhh, don't tell. They end up in the trash. I always think I'll make banana bread, but I never have done it. Sigh.

jettybetty said...

I even amaze myself by saying this, but I buy them almost hoping they will get too ripe--then I freeze them--we all love them in smoothies. It's truly about the most domestic thing I do. JB

Anonymous said...

Fun blog! Thanks for stopping by mine a while back. As for us, all but one banana usually gets eaten. My youngest loves to have a little banana with his breakfast. I usually eat the other half in some cereal. I've made smoothies and banana bread, but that doesn't happen very often. That lone banana almost always ends up in the trash. As a matter of fact, I have one that needs to go there now...

Ashley
http://chapter4.diary-x.com

Renee said...

Our banana's go black too. Only prob is i will buy 3-4 and hubby will eat one on the way to work etc so they will all be gone but 1 of them then it's not enough to make bread etc....in the trash it goes!lol
Have a blessed day!:-)

Renee said...

Our banana's go black too. Only prob is i will buy 3-4 and hubby will eat one on the way to work etc so they will all be gone but 1 of them then it's not enough to make bread etc....in the trash it goes!lol
Have a blessed day!:-)

Lori Seaborg said...

There are several stages to our bananas:

1. Green: Let them sit a day

2. Perfect: Everyone wants one

3. Mushy: The baby doesn't mind

4. Half-Black: Banana Bread

5. Black: The chickens eat the insides; the bunnies eat the peels

6. Gross: The garden gets these. The potassium in bananas does wonders for plants, especially roses.

Thanks for visiting my blog today! I was very glad to find yours -- I love it!

Peg said...

Lori - thanks for the great gardening tip from a professed green thumb flunky! And thanks for visiting!
Renee - I think jetty betty's smoothy suggestion would work well with one lone banana.
daisymarie - I am with you, girl!
Ashley - I hope my post will save your lone banana's destiny!

Peg said...

OOOOOOH good one, Fish! Banana Splits! I just realized that I love bananas as long as they are covered with fat and sugar!!!

Peg said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.